It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 12   [ 169 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project "Honey-Badger"..........
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm 

I noticed that you made some pads off the frame for the shackle mount on the front.

What happened to the Sky shackle's? To much of a pain in the butt to get them placed right or weak link with the frame thickness in that spot?
About how long are the shackles you are using "Eye to eye"?
Did you plate the inside of the front frame rails on both sides?
Did you box the rear frame sections?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:37 am 
WEBILT 4WD club member

hauser roccs wrote:
I noticed that you made some pads off the frame for the shackle mount on the front.

What happened to the Sky shackle's? To much of a pain in the butt to get them placed right or weak link with the frame thickness in that spot?

1),the Sky shackles are cool,, but i was worried about exactly what you said (not really knowing where the custom rear spring pack up front was going to end up, I didnt want to cut out that much of the frame, only to have to cut more to move it forward or back even more) I sold them for more than I paid for them... 8)

2),my front shackles are made from 3/8"x2" and are short (aprox 4"eye/eye I think)

3), I boxed both inside and outside of the front frame,(inside, from crossmember to motor mounts, outside, from crossmember to past the vin stamp areas) the previous builder :roll: had nothing....

4), I have not boxed the rear frame.... yet,, but fully plan to,, since it's only channeled

Hows your build coming along.?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:35 pm 

Jaime wrote:
hauser roccs wrote:

1),the Sky shackles are cool,, but i was worried about exactly what you said (not really knowing where the custom rear spring pack up front was going to end up, I didnt want to cut out that much of the frame, only to have to cut more to move it forward or back even more) I sold them for more than I paid for them... 8)

2),my front shackles are made from 3/8"x2" and are short (aprox 4"eye/eye I think)

3), I boxed both inside and outside of the front frame,(inside, from crossmember to motor mounts, outside, from crossmember to past the vin stamp areas) the previous builder :roll: had nothing....

4), I have not boxed the rear frame.... yet,, but fully plan to,, since it's only channeled

Yah on the s.o.r.d shackle mounts that would definatly be a concern especially if you wanted to change springs in the future, and of course frame placement. On my old runner I built my shackles off the frame to and I want to say my shackles were right about 4" too. Everything seemed to hold up pretty good with that setup.

Good call on boxing the rear, these frames are much flimsier than the old ones. That's why I plan on building new out of 3x2x3/16 tube from firewall forward and cab back with plated center section. with exo and bed tubing should be pretty rigid.

My build is making progress in the parts department. I ordered a ruffstuff housing recently which is still about 4-5 weeks out but one more chunk down. Got some hubs for the front rear discs and calipers for the rear. still a ton of stuff to go. Before xmas We remodeled our master bath sooo.... parts collection got put on hold for a bit but with tax season upon us I expect to make some much needed progress on the build. Cross my fingers but still shooting for a chop and rebuild date somewhere around this coming winter. Probly will make some more updates to the thread once I get the front and a little more cash.

Your truck is looking pretty sweet. I like the way it turned out, it has a good stance. Now you just need to get out and wheel it!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:24 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

hauser roccs wrote:
Jaime wrote:
hauser roccs wrote:

Yah on the s.o.r.d shackle mounts that would definatly be a concern especially if you wanted to change springs in the future, and of course frame placement. On my old runner I built my shackles off the frame to and I want to say my shackles were right about 4" too. Everything seemed to hold up pretty good with that setup.

Good call on boxing the rear, these frames are much flimsier than the old ones. That's why I plan on building new out of 3x2x3/16 tube from firewall forward and cab back with plated center section. with exo and bed tubing should be pretty rigid.

My build is making progress in the parts department. I ordered a ruffstuff housing recently which is still about 4-5 weeks out but one more chunk down. Got some hubs for the front rear discs and calipers for the rear. still a ton of stuff to go. Before xmas We remodeled our master bath sooo.... parts collection got put on hold for a bit but with tax season upon us I expect to make some much needed progress on the build. Cross my fingers but still shooting for a chop and rebuild date somewhere around this coming winter. Probly will make some more updates to the thread once I get the front and a little more cash.

Your truck is looking pretty sweet. I like the way it turned out, it has a good stance. Now you just need to get out and wheel it!!!

Yea this has been the longest build I have ever done.. :oops:

But like you said, other things seem to always get in the way,

I'm just finishing up the CHP requirements :mrgreen: (mud flaps and lighted rear license plate)
than I can start putting some miles on it while doing the rear frame plates, spare tire mount, tow hooks, c.b radio, sliders..... ect... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:45 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

got my $5.00 e-bay l.e.d. license plate lights on and wired, still have to fine tune the direction for full illumination of the plate,, they are bright... 8)

Attachments:
100_1484.JPG
100_1484.JPG [ 79.88 KiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:02 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

well,,,,,, 8) 8) 8)

took it on it's maiden voyage today to Folsom Lake,, UMM I mean...Folsom Creek

did great down the freeway (the bias ply 37's have never been balanced and are out of round, they came from a green stickered buggy) 65 mph in 5th gear at 2800 rpm,,, still dont think the p/s is quite right,, but absolutely NO death wobble and when letting go of the steering wheel it takes a bit to track to the left out of the lane

dialed the RS9000's down to 1, and the body roll is next to nill
when dropping down into the lake bed, I immediately had to lock the hubs to climb out of a steep dip,, and no problems with 4wd, or the dual t-cases, I even tried out both Zip Lockers,, they worked great.as did the economy built long travel front driveline.!!
need to install some front bump stops, as the shocks are not the best way to limit the compression... :oops:

it has the good ol' Tacoma lean (leans to the drivers side ,real common with SAS Tacomas) probably stick a tad bit longer shackle on that side to make up the difference...

Attachments:
100_1491.JPG
100_1491.JPG [ 198.38 KiB | Viewed 1594 times ]
100_1494.JPG
100_1494.JPG [ 234.43 KiB | Viewed 1594 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Looks good!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:42 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

JDunn wrote:
Looks good!

Look closely might be a photoshop pic. I heard he sold that rig already.

High Steer
Alcans/ orbit eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:11 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

more progress.!! 8)

front removable/adjustable bump stops ...built/mounted

front clevis mounts ......... mounted

8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Attachments:
100_1502.JPG
100_1502.JPG [ 205.82 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
100_1507.JPG
100_1507.JPG [ 177.27 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:16 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

fabbed up a spare tire mount for the bed..
used all stuff I had laying around, so 0 cost... :lol: (the Fab Tech ones are like $385.00, and you really cant even see it..!!), made mine alot lower profile, so I can still see out the rear view mirror.. 8)

Attachments:
100_1504.JPG
100_1504.JPG [ 199.54 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
100_1508.JPG
100_1508.JPG [ 229.8 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
100_1509.JPG
100_1509.JPG [ 251.83 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]
100_1510.JPG
100_1510.JPG [ 236 KiB | Viewed 1427 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:14 pm 

I used the same t-case adapter as you did, and ive got a concern about one of the holes in the adapter plate. It's just above one of the holes that you would use to bolt to the trans. Basically the hole lines up about center of the lower bearing race on crawl box. It's been awhile since ive put oil in a geared case but I would think oil would flow thru this hole when the truck sits on level ground and when going down hill, which would cause the crawlbox to lose oil. Or even the main case since oil can flow thru the bearings on the dual adapter.

Since you are using the Tacoma t-case still you would most likely not lose oil on the main case but your crawl box could potentially run low on oil and cause the gears or the coupler to dry up/ heat up/ cause damage or even failure

My trans is sealed from the t-case like yours and also has a dead space where oil could leak into. By the look of your trans you also have the same dead space. I guess I could just add more oil till everything balances out..... There are about three breather's on my trans one on the passenger side of the housing about half way up and two on the shifter, I guess the hole in the plate could allow for oil to expand but right off the bat a little under half the oil would just flow into the dead space. Just looking for some insite on this since yours is installed.

I was wondering if you noticed this and what you did about it :?:

Attachment:
0701131613.jpg
0701131613.jpg [ 54.28 KiB | Viewed 1414 times ]

Attachment:
100_1179.JPG
100_1179.JPG [ 201.07 KiB | Viewed 1414 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:40 am 

Ok so answered my own question. Called tg and they say you just fill the crawl box till it is full with the level of the oil of the geared case even though you are also just filling up the dead space in the back of the trans. cool but they don't mention that when you buy just the front adapter plate.

When you buy the front plate and the adapter to the Tacoma case, The rear adapter between the case and crawl box has a fill plug, soooo just fill it till oil comes out and you are good to go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:53 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

hauser roccs wrote:
Ok so answered my own question. Called tg and they say you just fill the crawl box till it is full with the level of the oil of the geared case even though you are also just filling up the dead space in the back of the trans. cool but they don't mention that when you buy just the front adapter plate.

When you buy the front plate and the adapter to the Tacoma case, The rear adapter between the case and crawl box has a fill plug, soooo just fill it till oil comes out and you are good to go.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for bringing this up,, I will double check all my fill levels..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:41 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

still working on stuff like a heavier duty under bed bracket for the spare tire carrier, got most all the metal to fab up the sliders,
but ever since I got it smogged, it has had a presistant miss from the engine, more when it was cold or hadnt been ran for a few days,, after talking with Zach and Bo, I decided to give it a tune up,(since I wasnt sure what the previous owner had done) 1st started with a good cleaning of the MAF and throttle body,, than last Wednesday (2/5/14) I took advantage of the Toyota 20% off night and bought new plug wires, and NGK dual filiment spark plugs at Napa, Will helped me in changing out the plug wires (found out they were the originals stamped "1996"... :shock:) ,, Oh and I had a check engine light on, Will diagnosed it with his OBD-2 code reader, as a miss in #3 cylinder , so we started with that plug, after pulling it out we found some parts missing... :roll: :roll:

long story short,, it now runs great, (starts right up and idles perfect..),

imangine that !!........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments:
100_1513.JPG
100_1513.JPG [ 119.9 KiB | Viewed 1398 times ]
100_1514.JPG
100_1514.JPG [ 152.09 KiB | Viewed 1398 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 pm 
WEBILT 4WD club member

Hmm, just where could that electrode have gone??????

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 12   [ 169 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next